Thursday, April 16, 2009

Do We Matter?

Do we matter? It's human nature to think that what we do matters to those around us. Every one of us loves to get a little pat on the back now and then from our friends, family, co-workers, etc. It lifts our spirits. It makes us feel productive. It gives us a feeling of belonging. It gives us a sense of pride. It increases our self confidence. It encourages us to do even more. Yet, more often than not, we are not recognized as being important to others. So I ask again, do we matter? In the grand scheme of things we are mere pebbles of sand in the sea. Occasionally someone will perform extraordinarily and will stand out in the crowd. For example, the heroism of Captain Sully Sullenberg setting his plane down in the Hudson River and saving his crew and passengers. Or a more recent example, the extraordinary voice of Susan Boyle on the British TV show, "Britain's Got Talent." Do these people matter more than we do? I would say the answer to that depends on who we want to matter to. Have you ever noticed how quickly Satan starts telling us we DON'T MATTER when we do something for Jesus? Or is it just me? In today's internet culture, I find that my Christian ethics, thoughts, and words do not matter to most individuals, but they sure seem to agitate the devil. I know God is pleased when I share His Word and/or His love, and He is the only one I should be concerned about whether or not I matter to. Yet the devil tells me I am wasting my time, I am not making a difference in anyone's life, I'm too much of a sinner to try to be pleasing to God, and I just plain old Do Not Matter. Yet, instinctively, I want to matter to others. We all do! It is human nature. But we all need to be very careful about whom we want to matter to. When we see someone striving to do good, we should let them know that their actions matter to us. Hebrews 3:13 tells us to exhort one another on a daily basis, lest we be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. Let those around you, who share God's love, know that they matter to you, and do it today. They all need encouragement. And above all else let God know that He matters to you. God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment